I am reading the sixth annual “Reasons To Love New York” issue of New York magazine. Every year, the editors scramble to put together this ish in the dead of winter, just when everybody on that island has had it.
Some of the 59 reasons to love NYC this year are…
- Because after last call at the Jane, you can go straight to an AA meeting.
- Because Frank Gehry’s new tower gives the skyline some much-needed Baroque drama.
- Because we’re a town that reveres its Jewish mothers.
- Because pluralism is our new fundamentalism.
- Because the Roosevelt Island Tram is back!
From my chair in San Diego, I’m thinking these reasons are not so lovable. A few of them reek of desperation.
And even though it’s raining like gangbusters here, I’m still psyched to be back in California. A lot of people here are afraid of the rain, but even my high-maintenance grandma went out in it. Well…nothing stops her from shopping. We have an outdoor mall, so she used one of those plastic handkerchiefs you tie over your hair, and put a plastic bag over her purse. The first thing she did in the first store we entered was go straight to the first thing she saw (a big Nylon Burberry bag), and buy it and put all her wet baggage inside of that.
Reasons to love San Diego…
- Because your grandma has a new reason to buy another bag.
- Because everything is green and fresh-smelling!